Sunday, June 7, 2009

Are ESL Teachers the New GIs?

You're so lucky, two posts in one day from me!

Well thanks to my dad who passed along this article I thought I would in turn share with you.

Last night in Hongdae I noticed the drastic difference in "make up" of people flooding the streets then 2 years ago. A lot of the "ESL teachers" looked a lot more... built than the usual scrawny, emo-ish/hipster-like teachers from several years ago. Of course, these had to be teachers as GIs were apparently banned from Hongdae. My point is, the lines are beginning to blur and while it felt like GIs were getting a bad rep when I was in Seoul for the first time, maybe there's a brewing resentment towards teachers that is starting to surface.

Here's the link to Rok Drop's post on the matter

So yes, I came to Korea because in reality, I'm a loser. I had no job, no boyfriend, moved in with the parents and was on my way to becoming a bona fide cat lady.

I'll be the first to admit it and wear my loser badge with pride. However, I see no reason why Koreans should resent me for THIS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment