Monday, May 3, 2010

1 Down, 1 to Go

Those who have the security of knowing where you will be in the following year may not understand the feeling I had when my director asked me what my thoughts on re-signing for another year were.

This past year has come and gone, and I've now marked my year stint back in Seoul. I had a lot of factors to consider in making the decision to sign away one more year of my life to Korea. Family, friends, and the comforts of home are very tempting to have just gone and called it a day. However, I know that the reality and state of affairs back home are not the most ideal conditions in which to come back. So, with mixed feelings, I have signed on for just one more and final round.

I am happy here. I am secure here. Knowing friends and loved ones are just a Skype call away has made it so much easier than the first time around. Being able to download my favorite shows hours after having aired in the states and seeing a movie released the very same week as back home has made the lag of being halfway around the world hardly noticeable.

I'm spoiled living in Korea in the 21st century. I still can't imagine my father (who lived in Seoul while training for the Peace Corps) having to trek into the city for his McDonald's hamburger (a rare luxury for him back in the 70s) once a month. Heck, I bought a bag of Doritos at the Super Mart next to my school!

So to my readers, your humble blogger wants you to know she will STILL be Getting Chiggae Wit' It for another year!

Although, to my great anticipation, I will be coming back to Texas in August for a sweet stint so mark your calendars, and send me some suggestions on places to see and things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment