Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's Turkey Lurkey Time!


On Friday, my parents sent me an email displaying the tablespread of a Thanksgiving for 2. I salivated over the juicy turkey (prepared the Grandma Lucy way in a brown paper grocery bag), the scrumptious cranberry salad, the buttery rolls, and the delectable green bean casserole. More importantly, I couldn't help but feel a little sad that I couldn't be there to enjoy it with them.


I've always loved Thanksgiving Day. The slowness of it. Thanksgiving has always been a small affair with just my parents and I. It was never a hectic day with 20 people coming over, the kitchen exploding with activity or family politics. Instead, it was just a day to truly relish. The three of us would come in and out of the kitchen helping with whatever dish was on the stove or assisting Mom with the turkey in the oven. I know Thanksgiving means something different to everyone but to me it meant preparation for the holiday season and reflection on the past year.

When you're abroad over the holidays, it's a little weird. Your body is wired to be ready to celebrate an occasion but you look around and your mind isn't able to compute the disconnect. Even looking around my classroom, with handprint turkeys, cornucopias, little pilgrim and Native American coloring sheets. Something was lacking.

That something was still lacking when our supervisor bought a pumpkin pie and fried chicken for the teachers on Thursday. While it was a nice gesture it still didn't feel like Thanksgiving. I just told myself that Saturday would be the day of feasting... and boy was it ever!

The Seoul kids trekked down to Anyang to Rick and Joo's apartment. Despite the fact that Baby J is going to pop out any day, they were gracious enough to host a bevy of hungry teachers and even decorated their already gorgeous apartment in a festive fashion.

We had a traditional Thanksgiving meal (brought to you by Costco). All the trimmings were there: mashed potatos and gravy, stuffing, delicious turkey with cranberry sauce, pie, and family.

I never had an "I forgot I'm in Korea" moment, but that's ok. While my parents are on the other side of the world, I still felt the love you feel for people you care for around the Thanksgiving table. We've become our own family and this is something for which I am truly thankful.

1 comment: