Monday, November 16, 2009

A subway snapshot

Since the weather has turned to freezing my cheeks off I've begun using buses and subways to get to school. Tonight I was waiting for the subway praying I wouldn't be crammed into a crowded car bursting at the seams. As my car approached I let out a sigh of relief as I saw it was only moderately full.
I stepped into the car and looked to the left where the part of the car was reserved for handicap, pregnant, or elderly people. Many times if you are none of the above and you are taking up space in the section you get dirty looks and a couple of harumphs thrown in your general direction. It's the equivalent of parking in a handicap spot in the parking lot or even using the handicap bathroom stall in the restroom (Curb Your Enthusiasm reference here).
As I was settling into my little area I looked over and thought, "Uh oh, it looks like this kid has had too much to drink and doesn't know any better." A few elderly people were encircling him and I could see them talking to this guy, early 20s maybe, who seemed to be rocking back and forth, his eyes partially closed. It was at this point that I thought to myself, "Man, Koreans can't even wait an hour after work to get piss drunk?" As I was turning myself away to not stare at any imminent throwdown, I heard the lady next to me cluck and say in Korean, "So cute!"
Upon further inspection I looked back and saw two big, beautiful, calm yellow labs with Eye Dog vests lying on the floor next to the seats. I looked back at what I had previously assumed was an intoxicated fellow and realized he was actually blind. The people who had been encircling him actually had been making room for the canines afoot and were conversing with the blind man.
I've seen a lot of blind people in Seoul. Walking to work every morning there are at least 2-3 Koreans with walking sticks and a human guide in my school's neighborhood. But coming upon seeing/guide dogs has been a much more rare occurence. Back home in Texas, it was a normal occurence but seeing guide dogs (no pun intended) here in Seoul usually perks my attention.
My stop approached too suddenly and I was a little saddened to have to get off so soon. There was this very peaceful feeling at the back of this car. An elderly woman seated next to a blind woman with one of the dogs extended her gloved hand and gingerly rubbed the dog's chin. A content smile spread across her face and made its way over to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment