Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Traditioooon!!! Tradition!

A week from now, I will finally be able to start what I have been planning for what seems like the last couple of months. The planning will be done and it will now be time to execute.

I've just returned from a multicity tour to get the proper stamp on my passport. Driving to Austin to get another official signed and sealed transcript (the third one actually, since the first was not stamped on the bottom, the second I had to send to Korea.... and since I was there I said, eh, gimme one more just to be safe). This took all of 5 minutes. Then drive to Houston to spend 10 minutes in the Korean Consulate. 15 minutes of actually "doing stuff."

The remainder was spent either driving or hanging out with Mandy, my dear friend and sorostitue sister. We dined on nom nom worthy fajitas (made by her very nice boyfriend) and guac. I will need to binge on Tex Mex since it's near to impossible to find good Tex Mex in Seoul... I didn't realize I missed Tex Mex until I had to go without it the first time. We then played two awesome rounds of Boys v. Girls Cranium. Boys =1 Girls =1

Being there for their ritual "Sunday Supper" made me excited to get some traditions started when I settle back into Seoul. It also had me looking forward to going back to my old traditions that occupied my time during ROK Round 1. My monthly Sunday afternoon in Itaewon (First stop at What The Book to pick up my month's worth of magazines, followed by enjoying said mags at Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, then I would go to the Black Market and restock on foreign goods -oatmeal and corned beef hash- and if the weather permitted I would go enjoy a falafel at the Egyptian restaurant), the Saturdays spent in Liz's apartment watching Lost or some other bootleg DVDs with popcorn and M&Ms. I also can't wait to add some brand new traditions to this list as well.

For those in Korea already, or who HAVE been there, let me ask you a question: What traditions do you have that are unique to Korea? Is there a place that you regularly go to or that you save for a specific occasion?

No comments:

Post a Comment