Thursday, April 16, 2009

You. Betta. WORK

Got my visa issuance number!! Got my visa issuance number!! Doing a happy dance!

Going to Austin on Sunday to pick up my sealed transcript then driving to Houston to go to the Korean Consulate. Goal: To spend as little time in Houston as possible.

After receiving my number, I went to the Korean Consulate in Houston website to make sure I had the necessary documents. Found that I had to get ANOTHER set of passport size photos so I went with mom to take them at FedEx Kinkos.

I always used to be the kid who would get stressed and high strung when it came around to picture time at school. Not only did I plan out which outfit would best complement the background (will it be the neon light sabers or black with stars?) but I would actually rehearse- REHEARSE my poses and best side. This went on throughout school and would continue when the time came for my drivers license photos I always made sure that it was a good hair day. I understand there are those people who just don't give a hoot but these things were always mountains and not mole hills to yours truly.


So let's fast forward to Kinko's yesterday. My mother tells me to toss my hair and flip it to give it body. I might have been the only person to have done this in that particular Kinkos-ever. My "stylist" then proceeds to work my bangs as I sit down on the chair and reflexively swivel to my left. I place my right hand on my lap, because I remembered an old photographer from 4th grade saying that this straightens your shoulders and posture. Instinctively, I tilt my chin down and look up with my eyes and then flash a smile by slightly opening the mouth and then pressing my tongue up to the roof of my mouth.

"Ok! I'm ready!" I say without so much as moving my lips (a ventriloquist would be jealous).



Kinko girl looks at me, unamused, and says, "You need to look straight on and directly at the camera." Dammit. So instead of giving my best Top Model pose I just look bug eyed into the camera and flash a big ol' "Well I'm going to Korea so EAT IT!" smile.


Brandon says I look Mexican in this picture.


3 comments:

  1. it's the Korean version of Victoria Beckham getting her license in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't wanna bust yr balls, but they (the korean consulate folks) don't want you to smile in the picture. There's actually a 4 foot poster covered in little passport photos showing how NOT to pose/look/smile. Basically it's deadpan, no smile, no makeup, white background.

    Hopefully they'll cut you some slack?

    ReplyDelete
  3. miiiiiiiiikey! how come you no tell me before?!?!? well since it's not on their website i don't know how they can NOT accept it. That's my argument

    ReplyDelete