Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Word of Caution Brought to you by my Parents

After a very long procession of emails back and forth, I was finally about to Skype with my parents this morning in Bangkok. As planned, I am going down to Koh Samui to meet up with Jamie but instead of taking the overnight train, I'll be taking a bus. (I'm in a PC cafe waiting out the next 30 minutes).

Anyways, after updating them on my itinerary my parents wanted to give me a piece of advice:

Mom: Casey, your father and I watched a show about the tsunami that happened in Phuket 5 years ago. Be very careful. I want you to notice anything that does not look right with the water. Watch the water.

Dad: Yeah, but watch out, 'cuz those things happen really fast.

Mom: That's right. So if you see anything strange- RUN! Run very fast!

Dad: Go where the animals go. No animal has ever died in a tsunami. They know things. We don't. But they do.

So instead of relaxing on the beach, working on my tan and sipping a fruity cocktail with an umbrella in it, I'm going to have to spend the next few days checking on tidal discrepancies and monitoring irregular bird migrating patterns... in case I need to save the people on Koh Samui and ensure that we will all be here to see 2010 (which is ONLY 2 years away from 2012...).

No comments:

Post a Comment